A random collection of thoughts associated with the sport of cycling, as relayed by one hopelessly devoid of too many competing interests. It's a one track blog I'm afraid. But hey, if you like bikes you might enjoy it. So keep reading and the worst that'll happen is it might rot your brain..

Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Does it always rain in pothole city?


Does it? Or is it just when I want, and/or, need to ride my bike somewhere? Saturday's 30 miler out in Seekonk and Rehobeth consisted of sun, rain, sleet and snow. Oh yeah, and a seriously stiff headwind most of the way back. Yeah, as you might imagine it kinda sucked. So, just my luck, I ended up back in Seekonk/Rehobeth last night dropping off the Heap of Leaks at my mechanic's place. I figured I'd just ride home since I wanted to ride a bit last night anyway. There was a light rain falling as I drove over the Henderson bridge, but I was well layered. Besides, the weather guys all said it wasn't going to get ugly until late. Well, they lie. Repeatedly. And they get paid for it, brilliant!

Sure as shit as soon as I dropped the keys through the slot the skies opened up. Grrrreat! It was really dark and foggy out in cowtown, and luckily I had one of my Niterider MTB lights, a Knog and a decent Princeton Tec commuter light. I rode out of my way to avoid coming down Arcade ave. and taking a left onto 152. This meant adding roughly 4 miles of unlit flooded roads to the mix. This was to, you know, be safer... Riding like a drowned rat on crack, I think I set a personal best for getting back to Providence from that part of Boonieville. 30 minutes, and 10+ miles, later I was home peeling off layers of sand encrusted and water logged wool and lycra.

There were a few moments where I honestly wasn't sure if the front wheel was going to get swallowed up in a hole I couldn't see under inches of water. On a positive note (brace yourself!); I must be getting used to riding fixed, because I pulled off a few emergency bunny hops without killing myself. Yaaay for me.
Newman avenue in EP was fantabulous as per usual. I'm still waiting for that whole stretch of road by the gas station to fall into the earth, never to be seen again ala Atlantis. Maybe in the future people will bring their kids there and tell stories of what used to be "see Gina, that's where the Dunkin' Donuts and Sunoco used ta be, it was wicked awesome. You could get a Coollata and then hit the Cumbies across the street, all while running some loosa on a bike off da road.."

On a serious note watch out for new potholes! Holy crap there are some big ones out there.


3 Comments:

Blogger Aa said...

Fixie bunny hops are where it's at. Next you'll need to do bunny hops and back pedal while in the air and land in a one handed skid, other hand lighting the cigarette that you're going pull into your mouth and tie in a knot.

Don't worry I'll update tomorrow.

8:10 PM

 
Blogger Aa said...

You know, all that complaining about updating and you sir have been BEHIND.
It's been 10 days!

Any recconmendations on a rigid mt fork? Was going to go with the Ritchey but it's BIG bucks. Oh well.

See you in a few weekends.

9:08 PM

 
Blogger Brendan said...

SURLY 1X1, not light but it has a nice rake and it's suspension corrected (80mm). Sorry about being so slack - been busy at work and buying a new whip...

8:32 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home