A random collection of thoughts associated with the sport of cycling, as relayed by one hopelessly devoid of too many competing interests. It's a one track blog I'm afraid. But hey, if you like bikes you might enjoy it. So keep reading and the worst that'll happen is it might rot your brain..

Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Bikes, crap, bikes, more crap, and bikes.

I am in a phase of marked de-motivation when it comes to riding my bike in a fast(ish) manner. Not sure why but the desire to push hard evaporated recently and I couldn't care less. Even so I finally registered for the big Showcase Showdown extravaganza that is known as NBX 'cross weekend. This late show of support, and self malice, guarantees me a damn near last row start. Couple this with the singlespeed factor and I'm sure to be smoked. Of course, by some people's logic, merely racing a SS makes you an underdog hero or some such bullshit. Well then! I should seem like the fucking 1985 New England Patriots on Sunday morning to those folks! Mosi Tatupu and Steve Grogan express comin' through!! Outta my way bitches! Whoops, dropped the ball...again. Shit, damn you Eason!!

It's gonna take a lot less than a million fumbles, The Fridge and Ditka to ruin my race. I'm sure if I do end up DFL rolling on down the road at the start I'll trip all over myself trying to accommodate any accompanying DFLers. The last time I raced this course I found myself and another day of registration slacker fighting over who would get DFL honors going into the woods.. The conversation between myself and Mr. Bloodred Surly guy was something like this "You first. No no no, I insist you go. Nah, man, you go for it." Fine, I'll go!... I guess". Yes folks it's sure to be an epic battle of who could give a shit less, be sure tune in for the exciting details.

I am excited about the brief return of Dan Langlois, renowned international (er, East Coast anyways) man of velo racing, high dolla neckerchief pimping and home made woolen undergarments. I plan on procuring a new woolen base layer from the man to replace the rag I've been wearing for the last 10 years. At this point it fails to resemble anything a self respecting human would want touching their skin. It's that grody. In fact I bet the shroud of turin is cleaner.

Also, on a positive note, I will be sporting mostly hole free clothing in this race! This is nice. And not just because it'll keep me warmer but because any race poor Stacy attends usually elicits comments about how everyone could see my ass. I also hear all about the holes in my nasty jerseys and how they make me look like a bum who woke up beside the course and decided to give it a go. Sorry honey, no pro kit for a guy like me. But at least I won't be in threadbare rags this time.

In all seriousness it should be fun. I do wish that after doing 9 CX training races I could re-mount with something resembling grace, but it's been coming along real slow like. I broke my super duper wicked awesome 500 year old Schwinn Stinger saddle in Wakefield last week. Who knew Ti rails could break so easily? Well, they can when you remount will all the grace of a cracked out gorilla. Luckily I had a red one kicking around after the sale of the Kona. Speaking of selling bikes, the Rip9 frame is being sold tomorrow. I'm down to ONE mountain bike for the winter (well, OK, two if you count the Schwinn but that really doesn't count). It's gonna be all Karate Monkey all the time until I figure out which frame I'm going to buy. Sinister's Simon Bar and the Niner EMD 9 are on the short list. Someone out there give me another idea, or two, to mull around in my head. The only requirements are that it costs well under $1,000, it can handle 100mm - 120mm of travel, it's relatively light and is a neutral handler. Any ideas?

No pictures so I'll leave you with this. It is about that time of year again after all...

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Mark said...

Get a Pivot 429! Might be a little over your price range but I hear it's really light.

9:22 AM

 
Blogger Brendan said...

Ha, yeah that's definitely out of my range right now. Also I seem to recall the DR tester not digging one or another aspect of that frame - flexy front end when pushed hard I think?

9:45 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you take the DFL title for sunday I will do my best to capture it on saturday. However I do consider myself the strong favorite for the DNF award, especially with my dismouts with pay homage to the nursing home residents far and wide. Good luck down there.

6:15 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home