A random collection of thoughts associated with the sport of cycling, as relayed by one hopelessly devoid of too many competing interests. It's a one track blog I'm afraid. But hey, if you like bikes you might enjoy it. So keep reading and the worst that'll happen is it might rot your brain..

Monday, February 09, 2009

Slower than Snot

I've been riding at a snail's pace recently. Slow, big(ish) gear and SS only. Working on climbing strength for MTB SS riding and spinning it every chance I get on the flats. Lately it's been about trying to avoid the worst effects of the annual head/chest funk that seems to afflict everyone I know, myself included, right about now. I did get in some ride time last week and over the weekend, and it was really nice to get out in the sun and warmer temps. The night time rides are OK in that they keep me off my trainer, but sunshine is where it's at. Hell, even grey skies and blowing wind beats the TV. And, honestly, last Thursday nights ride was freaking COLD. Didn't help I was still sickly and shouldn't have ventured out either.

The Old North Burial Ground on North Main is where I've been ending my recent rides. The pavement is decrepit, sometimes muddy, and beat to shit in every way possible. Awesome! There are basically no dirt roads to speak of close to Providence save the old rail beds and the fire roads in Lincoln Woods. Riding the cemetery is as close as it gets and it's a good thing the place is actually kinda big. No one is ever really in there either, which allows you to cruise at a nice clip and take advantage of the punchy climbs and crumbly asphalt corners. It's a weird place, scrunched between North Main and I 95, and it's full of dead people, but the roads offer a decent early season workout and the plow work is better than many of the area roads receive.

In other somewhat bike related news I had to head up to the soon to be new office in Quincy on Saturday morning. The good thing was it allowed me to fully scope out the ride to work from 138. There's a park and ride right off 138 and from there the route will take me through the Blue Hills. The days I ride in from the P&R will cut off ~ 20 miles from the drive. I can extend the ride a bit as well, I could also add some single and double track once the trails are open to bikes again in April. I'm thinking of getting some better 'cross tires though. The stock tires on the San Jose (WTB All Terrainasourus) are soft, squirmy and adhere to road surfaces the way peanut butter sticks to the roof of your mouth. This is good for some resistance but not so hot for getting anywhere quick. I think my standby 'cross tire, the Ritchey Excavader, actually rolls easier on pavement and would probably handle the woods riding better as well. The only sketchy looking part of the ride is in Quincy near the office but it's a short stretch, and I'll be heading in a little after the rush, so hopefully it's not a death race.

Here's to hoping this week's temps allow for enough melting so Lennon can host the planned Fun Ride down in Burlingame next Sunday..

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok, so here is the question. What gearing should i run on my single speed for the king of burlingame? i know that powerhouse guy who won last year was rocking a single speed, but what gearing??

3:37 PM

 
Blogger Aa said...

You got a San Jose?

What niche does that fill?

8:43 AM

 
Blogger Brendan said...

Green SS 'cross bike that I can ride fixed as well... Or, local economy stimulus package bike.

9:07 AM

 
Blogger Brendan said...

I hear ya w/ the head cold thing. I got a little 'cross loop in the cemetery - in the back by the wooded hill. When do you do your nighttime stuff?

4:51 PM

 
Blogger Brendan said...

Hey B,

I usually ride ~ 6:15, after my job commute (and schedule) changes on 2/23 it'll be like 7:15ish.

More likely than not I'll be getting in most of my weekly road riding by riding into work from the park and ride on Rte 138 thru the Blue Hills. Should be ~ 30 or so miles a day give or take with add on loops etc. Weird to break it up like that but I'll take what I can get. Plus, it'll have me driving a bit less.

12:31 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home